Bus Faults Error 10 with Perl

Jim Flowers jflowers at EZO.NET
Tue Oct 18 02:50:15 IST 2005

I have a 4.42.9 MailScanner setup on a FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE system that has
just quit working after several months without a problem.  It just stops
processing every couple of hours with no errors indicated in the logs.
Restarting MailScanner starts it working again.

It has also started throwing bus-fault errors when it is running:

Oct 17 10:49:58 mxgf1 kernel: pid 85142 (perl5.8.6), uid 0: exited on signal 10

pid 85142 is a child of a current Mailscanner process 84516:

84516  ??  S      0:05.06 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/local/lib/MailScanner
/usr/local/libexec/MailScanner/MailScanner
/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf (perl5.8.6)

and in terminating prematurely, it leaves a work file:

-rw-------  1 root    wheel     91387 Oct 17 10:49
/tmp/spamassassin.85142.xbLbt4.tmp

Although signal 10 specifies a bus fault with a core dump, there is no sign
of a .core file anywhere.  Rebuilding and reinstalling perl did not resolve
the problem.

Although modified for MailWatch, that functionality is working correctly and
returning to the unmodified version still has the same problem.

Is there any reason to expect that this problem is hardware related or is it
more likely to be something that changed in the execution of the child
spawned by the MailScanner Perl script?

Where should I look in troubleshooting this further?

Thank you.