spam filtering ceased

Dan Stromberg strombrg at DCS.NAC.UCI.EDU
Mon Oct 17 20:08:59 IST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 11:20 +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> By default, MailScanner will always use /usr/bin/perl. But anything that
> looks for perl in your path may well pick up /dcs/bin/perl. Having these
> 2 different is very dangerous and the cause of a whole host of problems.
> Consider replacing /usr/bin/perl with a link to /dcs/bin/perl. And who
> put perl in /bin? It doesn't belong there.

Hi Julian.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm reluctant to replace /usr/bin/perl with a symlink to /dcs/bin/perl,
because /usr/bin/perl is the Sun version, and I'm concerned that there
might be a perl script that ships with the OS that isn't compatibile
with /dcs/bin/perl.

/bin and /usr/bin are the same directory usually on most Sun's.

Would it be sufficient to make sure the $PATH as known by MailScanner
does not include /dcs/bin/perl?

Thanks!