New MS install is acting very strangely (misconfiguration somewhere)

Chris W. Parker cparker at SWATGEAR.COM
Mon Oct 17 18:31:03 IST 2005

Dennis Willson <mailto:taz at TAZ-MANIA.COM>
    on Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:26 PM said:

> "Uninfected: Delivered 1 message" is from MailScanner, not the MTA. If
> it was really delivered, there should be another message from the MTA
> that says it was delivered.

I'm using sendmail. Do you know what the message should say?

> I believe that the message from
> MailScanner means it was put in the output queue for the MTA to
> pickup and deliver (at least if sendmail is the MTA). Then it's up to
> the MTA to actually deliver the message.
>
> I would check your input and output queues for the email you tried to
> send through.

Ahh... I looked in my output queue and I have a bunch of emails in
there. Looks like they never left my machine.

I made a change in MailScanner.conf that is probably the culprit. I
changed the output queue to /var/spool/mqueue.out (from
/var/spool/mqueue) simply because it made more sense to me than the
original location. I assumed that changing it in MailScanner.conf would
also make sendmail aware of the change but it seems not to be the case.

I looked through sendmail.mc but didn't find any setting to change the
queue. However, in sendmail.mc I *did* find:

# queue directory
O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue

Is there something I need to add to sendmail.mc to rebuild the .cf file
or can I modify directly the .cf file?

Thanks,
Chris.