spam filtering ceased

Dan Stromberg strombrg at DCS.NAC.UCI.EDU
Sun Oct 16 05:54:13 IST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-15 at 12:59 +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> Have you considered just upgrading to the latest versions of MailScanner
> and spamassassin?

I've considered it, but then this is a production system, and I've never
upgraded or installed MailScanner before...

> It might well be the quickest way out of your trouble. But first make
> sure /usr/bin/perl points to the latest version of Perl that is
> installed on your machine. You don't want to install in 1 perl and then
> run another.

Hmmmmm:

        meter-root) type -all perl
        perl is /dcs/bin/perl
        perl is /bin/perl
        perl is /usr/bin/perl
        meter-root) /dcs/bin/perl -v

        This is perl, v5.8.1 built for sun4-solaris

        Copyright 1987-2003, Larry Wall

        Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
        GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

        this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
        Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

        meter-root) /usr/bin/perl -v

        This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for sun4-solaris

        Copyright 1987-1999, Larry Wall

        Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
        GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

        this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
        Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

        meter-root)

> If you haven't got "MailScanner -v" working, then you have a pretty
> ancient version. If your SA is that old then an upgrade to the latest
> would help too. Upgrade SA using the ClamAV+SA package that I distribute
> on the MailScanner downloads page. It will save you a lot of time than
> doing it by hand.

I like the idea of upgrading, but having never done a mailscanner
upgrade or install, it doesn't sound safe enough to be a quick fix.  I'd
have to go configure the software on some other test host first.

Are there any other possibilities?