Best practice

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 09:31:09 IST 2005

On 13 Oct 2005, at 22:10, Richard Thomas wrote:

> Rabellino Sergio wrote:
>

>> Ho do you feel about  mycode.c.old or mydocs.tar.gz, or mydata.
>> 20051009.txt ???
>>
>> It's hard tell anyone that he can't send a project in development
>> to someone else because there are double dotted filenames, without
>> concerning
>> the real content.
>>
>> This was the start point for our discussion, then my doubt on that
>> rule. Could  be a 'better performance' rule, but there are real
>> attacks catched ONLY by that rule ?
>>
>> For now i've not found any attacks singularly catched by the
>> double-dot rule, but...
>>

> I've been wondering about this myself. I mean sure, block
> report.doc.exe and hotpic.jpg.pif but is anything really gained by
> blocking the examples listed by the previous poster? And I mean
> don't just do some handwaving about "extra security", I'd like to
> see a real explanation of the gain and preferably a couple of
> examples.

Please remember that no-one is forcing any of this on you. Don't like
them? Don't use them. The default rules are the ones I felt were
worth having, some based on my own experience and some based on
Microsoft's own lists of such things.

I wrote the double-extension trap rule as an example of what you
could do with my rules system, rather than the simple extension-
blockers provided with any of the commercial alternatives. It has
turned out be rather useful, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

But if you don't see the reason for having some/all of the rules,
just delete them. This whole conversation has become a bit pointless
and circular, in my opinion.
- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.