Too much uptime !

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT
Tue Oct 11 08:23:14 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:

>High load average figures from "uptime" are not an indication at all
>that your system is overloaded. It gives the average number of processes
>in the run queue. If a process is waiting for disk, it adds 1. If a
>process is waiting for network response, it adds 1. It doesn't mean
>anything is overloaded at all.

Yes, I know, but why there are 2 MS processes always in run-queue ?
They don't go to sleep  for a while between the queue scanning ?

>A load average of 3 means there are an average of 3 processes waiting
>for cpu, disk or network. Since you have 4 CPUs then 1 of them is idle.
>A load of 12 to 15 on a hard-working single cpu system is perfectly
>common, it just means that all your system resources are being
>thoroughly used.
>
>I usually recommend 5 children per CPU. So you should start by setting
>it to 20.

I was used to see a load-average between 0->1 so now I noticed a change
in this parameter and I need to understand why it happen.

>The Queue Scan Interval won't make any difference, I might remove it
>some time. It only affects the behaviour of the system when there are
>very few incoming messages. In all other situations it will process as
>many messages as it can without waiting for anything. It doesn't mean
>that MailScanner always waits 40 seconds to collect messages. If there
>are any messages waiting at all, then they are immediately processed.
>Leave it at 6.

ok.

>With a load average of 3 on a box with 4 cpu's, you've wasted your money
>as at least 1 cpu isn't even doing anything. A load average of 30 or 40
>would mean your machine is working for its dinner.

got it, captain!

--
Dott. Mag. Sergio Rabellino

 Technical Staff