MailScanner on boot

Information Services lbcadmin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 21:09:53 IST 2005

Yes,
I am running MailScanner-mrtg (the most current stable version
0.10.00-1).  I have gone to /etc/cron.d on my CentOS 4.1 system, and
commented out all lines in:

mailscanner-mrtg.crond
mrtg

--time lapse while doing some research---

Looking in /etc/MailScanner/mailscanner-mrtg...I found this:

# MAILSCANNER SETTINGS
# --------------------

# We can restart MailScanner if the number of MailScanner processes
# goes below this number. Change to 0 if you don't want us to restart.
Restart Threshhold = 1

# The script to run to restart MailScanner
Restart MailScanner = /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner restart

# MailScanner lock file
# This file is created by the MailScanner init script when MailScanner is
# stopped. MSMRTG will look for this file and if it exists will not
# attempt to restart MailScanner
MailScanner Off File = /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner.off

---------------------------

The part that I recognized right away was the Restart Threshold,
because that is what the /var/log/messages keeps saying.  Now, I can
see how, if I change this to 0, then my problem will more than likely
go away (something I will try after this email is sent).  Of course,
there are the two following commands that should already be working,
and from what I can gather, they are working just fine until I reboot.
 It is the rebooting that gets me in trouble.  The
/var/lock/subsys/MailScanner.off is no longer there when the system
reboots, and this allows mailscanner-mrtg to use the 'Restart
Threshold.'  So since this is the case, I guess what I need to do is
move everything back that I have changed, and give it a try.  Now,
earlier, there was a post to this topic, that said mailscanner-mrtg
0.10.00-1 was supposed to resolve this problem.  Is the problem
resolved or is it my system that is not working properly?