LDAP script for Active Directory (also, Wiki)

Steve Freegard smf at F2S.COM
Mon Oct 10 18:00:49 IST 2005

Hi Chris,

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 09:34 -0700, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just reading through
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#using_with_exchange_d
> omino_etc and to my dismay found out that there is no link to the
> appropriate article where Exchange is concerned.
>
> However, on
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta
> :postfix:how_to:reject_non_existent_users#ms_exchange there is a link to
> some documentation for Postfix and Exchange that can be applied to
> sendmail too.
>
> For anyone out there that is using MailScanner as a gateway with
> sendmail in front of Exchange I would be very appreciative of a working
> script to query valid user email addresses.

If you are using Exchange 2003 - then I can thoroughly recommend
milter-ahead instead of directly querying Active Directory.

This is a call-ahead type milter that you can implement on the gateway
which then keeps a cache of the lookups for a configurable number of
days.  I prefer this as it's really easy to set-up and has no chance of
bogging down your domain controllers or slowing mail delivery if AD is
busy etc.

See http://www.fsl.com/support/Milter-Ahead-Exchange-Settings.pdf for
details on setting this up.

Hope this helps.