Question about custom functions / generic spam plugin: Can they add headers?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at NKPANAMA.COM
Mon Oct 10 15:49:59 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:

> Beat you to it by miles on that one. What you want is this:
>
> # Do you want to add the Envelope-From: header?
> # This is very useful for tracking where spam came from as it
> # contains the envelope sender address.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Add Envelope From Header = yes
>
> # Do you want to add the Envelope-To: header?
> # This can be useful for tracking spam destinations, but should be
> # used with care due to possible privacy concerns with the use of
> # Bcc: headers by users.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Add Envelope To Header = no
>
> # This is the name of the Envelope From header
> # controlled by the option above.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Envelope From Header = X-MailScanner-From:
>
> # This is the name of the Envelope To header
> # controlled by the option above.
> # This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
> Envelope To Header = X-MailScanner-To:
>
> On 10 Oct 2005, at 04:38, Stijn Jonker wrote:
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> There is currently a requirement popping up to add to headers for all
>> email towards an domain:
>>
>> Before diving in writing my own libmilter function/program I was
>> thinking of the custom function and/or the generic spam plugin.
>>
>> Whilst reading the book it didn't become really clear whether  either of
>> them can do it. I checked the source and although some experience at
>> perl I'm unsure if i can call the functions AddHeader/ChangeHeader  from
>> the various mailer pm's suchs as Sendmail.pm.
>>
>> Therefore my question, is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Stijn
>> --
>> Met Vriendelijke groet/Yours Sincerely
>> Stijn Jonker <SJCJonker at sjc.nl>

>> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
>> the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

You might want to consider letting your users know that even if they
send e-mail out with BCC: the header will be included, so anyone who
looks at the message source will see who the recipients were. This way,
either they must send each message individually (some MUA's will let you
do this) or risk others knowing who they BCC:'d the message to.