OT: Sophisticated size limiting ...

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 8 17:42:22 IST 2005

Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> Garry Glendown wrote:
>
>> Possibly/Most likely not really a MS question, but maybe somebody has an
>> idea ...
>>
>> A customer of ours is running a Linux system, having switched from a
>> Novell/Tobit server ... Before, they had the possibility of
>> "quarantining" specific mails, like, too large, unwanted attachment or
>> too many recipients. Just a couple days ago, something happened that
>> would have been avoided with the old system - some "intelligent" user
>> sent a mail to 400+ local users with an 13MB word attachment (MIME
>> encoded 18mb mail) ...
>>
>> Question: Does anybody know of a way to do some more granularly
>> defineable mail handling, as mentioned above? I know I can set the
>> maximum message size, which would be a starter, but then the message
>> should be forwarded to the admin account, not rejected ...
>
> Perhaps this is something that could be implemented using MCP,
> although I don't know if SA supports creating a rule based on message
> size.

Do it using a Custom Function "plugin".

I am reluctant to add this to the core functionality, as it makes it yet
more complicated, when the behaviour is easy to add as a Custom
Function. I could add the Custom Function to CustomConfig.pm so everyone
can use it if they want to. As long as you are happy with me doing that
of course.

You could implement a Custom Function attached to "Maximum Message
Size". Test the $message->{size} property against the size you want the
limit set to. If it's too big then

$global::MS->{mta}->DeleteRecipients($message);
push @{$message->{archiveplaces}}, "admin.account at yourdomain.com";

and return the limit size 1 to force it to produce the correct warning
messages. Or produce 0 to not generate any warning messages at all.

If you know enough Perl, that will get you going. If you don't, then
contact me and I'll write it for you (for some suitable donation/payment
if possible).

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.