MailScanner on boot

Information Services lbcadmin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 20:25:27 IST 2005

I am running MailScanner-mrtg v. 0.10.00-1
I have gone into /etc/cron.d where MailScanner-mrtg located and commented
out lines in mrtg, and mailscanner-mrtg.crond but that didn't help.

I will see if moving MailScanner to a different directory and see what
happens

On 10/7/05, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com > wrote:
      Information Services spake the following on 10/7/2005 9:32
      AM:
      > Julian,
      >
      > I see what you are saying, and I gave it a try, and for
      some reason
      > MailScanner starts on it's own.  Thinking about what I have
      running on
      > my system:
      >
      > MailWatch
      > RDJ
      > Spamassassin
      > sendmail
      >
      > I realized that I had made a config change in
      /etc/rulesdujour/config
      > and added
      > SA_RESTART="/etc/init.d/MailScanner restart";
      >
      > I changed this line to "/root/do_nothing.sh";  and then
      turned off
      > MailScanner with 'service MailScanner stop'....rebooted, I
      have looked
      > into all my cron jobs, and there is nothing that I can see
      in cron that
      > would specify MailScanner.  I am not sure what else to
      check.   About
      > one minute after a reboot MailScanner starts
      automatically.  What am I
      > missing here?
      >
      > On 10/7/05, *Julian Field* <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
      > <mailto:MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>> wrote:
      >
      >     It's a bit more intelligent than that.
      >
      >     If you do a "service MailScanner stop" it creates a
      lockfile in
      >     /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner.off. When the hourly cron
      job runs, it
      >     detects the presence of this file and doesn't then
      start up
      >     MailScanner.
      >
      >     So all you need to do is a "service MailScanner stop"
      and it will
      >     stay stopped. No need to mess around with the cron jobs
      at all.

      >     On 7 Oct 2005, at 15:45, Information Services wrote:
      >
      >>     Okay,  I did the 'chkconfig --list MailScanner' and
      saw the
      >>     different run levels turned on.  So yes, I can see
      that
      >>     'mailscanner' is not the way to go.  I ran 'chkconfig
      --levels
      >>     0123456 MailScanner off' and rebooted.  Still the same
      problem.
      >>     Denis, I didn't even thought about the cron.hourly job
      for
      >>     check_MailScanner.  I removed this from the
      cron.hourly, and
      >>     rebooted....currently wait for system to
      reboot.......okay

      Denis.Beauchemin at usherbrooke.ca
      >>     <mailto: Denis.Beauchemin at usherbrooke.ca>> wrote:
      >>
      >>         Information Services wrote:
      >>
      >>> I have a CentOS 4.1 system with MailScanner loaded for
      the
      >>         possibility
      >>> of using in one or our remote locations.  I have gone
      into
      >>         the GUI
      >>> services and took the check out of MailScanner and
      Sendmail
      >>         to startup
      >>> at boot, but that did not seem to keep MailScanner from
      >>         starting on a
      >>> boot.  I did a chkconfig and turned off all mailscanner
      >>         levels, and I
      >>> must not understand the purpose of chkconfig, but once
      again
      >>> Mailscanner has decided to when the system is
      booted.  What
      >>         can I do
      >>> to keep MailScanner from running when the system is
      rebooted?**

      >>         Maybe /etc/cron.hourly/check_MailScanner is
      restarting it?

      >>         OTOH, are you sure MS is completely disabled?  Do
      "chkconfig
      >>         --list
      >>         MailScanner" and make sure it is off in all run
      levels.
      Are you running Mailscanner-mrtg?
      The older version had a problem with re-starting mailscanner.

      --

      | MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
      | protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |

      Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
      and
      the archives (
      http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the
      website!