O.T. mod_perl smtp server

Ken A ka at PACIFIC.NET
Fri Oct 7 16:48:41 IST 2005

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Ken A wrote:
>> Anyone played with this?
>> http://search.cpan.org/~mock/Apache-SMTP-0.01/lib/Apache/SMTP.pm
>>
>> It's Apache2, mod_perl, and Net::SMTP to make a simple scalable smtp
>> server or smtp proxy.
>>
>> Might it be a good fit for mailscanner?
>>

> I don't see exactly why one would use in prod environment a product that
> seems to be young.  You have a lot of mature alternatives for MTA:
> Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, Qmail, Zmailer that offer many different ways
> to be configured.  Apparently, you can throttle connexions with a milter
> or a config.

You are right about it being immature and not ready for prod
envirionment. It's not even written yet. There are some developers here
too though. It's probably not ever going to be wise to dump your mail
hub MTAs for this.

But, because a MailScanner machines are often setup as a relays out in
front of other machines, and MailScanner and SA are perl, this could
reduce the i/o that MailScanner does quite a bit by keeping mail in the
pipeline. Tt would put MailScanner 'in' a lightweight MTA, but you'd
lose the benefits of the IN/OUT queuing buckets.

I just thought I'd mention it here, since I feel there may be some
potential efficiency gains, and when it comes to mail processing, that's
a big deal.

Thanks,
Ken A
Pacific.Net