Spamassassin woes

Fri Oct 7 08:58:27 IST 2005

Scott

Check MailScanner.conf and make sure "SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir" and
"SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir" equal nothing...

ie

#SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir = /opt/MailScanner/etc/mail/spamassassin
SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir =

# The default rules are searched for here, and in prefix/share/spamassassin,
# /usr/local/share/spamassassin, /usr/share/spamassassin, and maybe others.
# If this is set then it adds to the list of places that are searched;
# otherwise it has no effect.
#SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir = /opt/MailScanner/share/spamassassin
SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir =

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

-----Original Message-----
Of Scott Silva
Sent: 06 October 2005 20:36
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [MAILSCANNER] Spamassassin woes

Scott Silva spake the following on 10/6/2005 11:11 AM:
> Julian Field spake the following on 10/6/2005 10:37 AM:
>
>>Scott Silva wrote:
>>

>>>Scott Silva spake the following on 10/6/2005 9:41 AM:

>>>Running MailScanner in debug mode gets entries like this;
>>>
>>>rules: failed to run URIBL_BLACK test, skipping:
>>>       (Can't locate object method "check_uridnsbl" via package
>>>"Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus" at
>>>/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line
>>>2581.
>>>
>>>But if I pipe the same message into a lint, it works fine.
>>>

>>You don't have 2 Perl installations do you?
>>You will need to have added
>>loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
>>
>>to your init.pre file in /etc/mail/spamassassin, or else the SURBL stuff
>>won't work at all.
>>

> One perl, and I have the line to load the plugin.
> Can't figure out why I can lint a message as root, and get different
> results than MailScanner running as root.
> That should eliminate any path or permission problems.

I have found the problem.
For some reason, the local rules directory is getting ignored and either
MailScanner or spamassassin is looking in /usr/etc/mail/spamassassin
instead of /etc/mail/spamassassin
The working system had that directory, and the non working system didn't.
Making a symlink seems to have cured the non-working system, but now I
need to find out why this happened.
All my config files have the proper paths in them, so I do not know
where this /usr/etc/mail/spamassassin came from.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |

the system manager.