OT - Which greylist milter

James Gray james at GRAYONLINE.ID.AU
Wed Oct 5 04:24:57 IST 2005

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 09:02, Scott Silva wrote:
> Just getting a feel at which greylist solutions are used by the esteemed
> recipients of this list.
> Especially interested in sendmail milters.

We use milter-greylist on both our sendmail gateways (one FreeBSD, the other
is CentOS).  Compiled the latest version from source so we can use extended
regex in our configuration files.  The results have been good:
Spam reduction:  ~30-50%
Virus reduction: ~15-20%
(compared to total spam/viruses before the greylist, ie, not a %-age of total
mail volume).  As always, the biggest bonus is that all this happens at the
MTA level saving MailScanner the hassle.

The biggest problems we've had stem from the assumption amongst users that
e-mail is actually some sort of instant-messaging.  If a message didn't
arrive within X-seconds, they would log a help desk call!  Despite much
education and assurance that once the mail (sender+recipient+originating SMTP
host tuple) had been "learned" there would be no further delays as long as
the sender sent you mail at least once a month (our autolearned-whitelist
forgets unused entries older than 30 days).

Our solution was simply to not greylist mail from key clients' domains[1] and
to manually whitelist a few internal mail accounts (mostly sales people).
Beyond that, we simply ignored most cries for help from the user population
until after a week-or-so to give the greylist a chance to "learn" the mail
patterns.  Surprisingly, this worked - after a week, the flood of "my e-mail
hasn't arrived" messages dried up. :)

Once these little niggles were sorted, we've been very impressed with the
results.  The two mail gateways synchronise their autowhite-lists etc too.
So if a sender gets auto-learned on the primary MX, then tries the secondary,
they get through without delay there too.  Same rules apply for all
auto-entries.  So if they try on the primary and get a 451-temporarily
unavailable, then come back after the set time interval but on the secondary,
they will still get through on the secondary (even though they originally hit
the primary).

Grey listing can have some weird (but predictable) side-effects too.  Consider
the following:

Jill is a user from snafu.foo who sends a message to Barry at fubar.bar.
After a delay, the grey list lets Jill's mail through to Barry.  Jill and
Barry exchange e-mail from now on without delay.  Jill sends another message
to Fred at fubar.bar and CC'ed Barry.  The CC'ed message to Barry goes
straight through but the message to Fred is delayed.  Barry talks to Fred
about the message from Jill, but Fred says "WTF?!".  Jill gets a phone call
from Fred and all three start annoying the IT people until (mysteriously) the
message to Fred is delivered!

Education is the key I think, but we all know how reluctant lusers are to have
$CLUE imparted.

Cheers,

James