Workaround for MailScanner RPM installation when using 'Perl from source'

Philip Hachey PHachey at CITY.CORNWALL.ON.CA
Tue Oct 4 21:26:49 IST 2005

I have been using MailScanner for some time now.  I have it installed on a
WhiteBox 3 (clone of RHEL 3) server.  Prior to the recent MailScanner
upgrade (via RPMs), I had installed the most recent version of Perl
(5.8.7) from the source available at CPAN.  In addition to the operating
system RPM version of Perl (5.8.0) located under /usr/lib/perl5, I now
have this new version of Perl located under /usr/local/lib/perl5.  I also
swapped /usr/bin/perl with a symbolic link to /usr/local/bin/perl.

When MailScanner installs, it recognizes both Perls, but during the
installation of MailScanner's included Perl RPM modules, the paths it
decides to use for the installation are /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7 and /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 .

POSSIBLE FIX: The correct paths would have been used if, in the spec file
of each of the Perl RPMs, the call to 'perl Makefile.PL' did NOT include
the PREFIX argument.

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND:  Before installing MailScanner, do the following:
# ln --symbolic /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.7
# ln --symbolic /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7

There is an additional problem I've noticed that, after having used CPAN
to grab the latest version of various Perl modules, MailScanner will still
install a lower version: those modules marked "IsABundle" in install.sh.
Is this intentional?  Should I not be upgrading these modules via CPAN?