Mail::ClamAV Install problem

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 10:19:11 GMT 2005

On 29/11/05, Jon Leeman <technician at cenpac.net.nr> wrote:
> Group,
>
> I have recently installed MS on a Mandrake 10.0 machine from
> "install-Clam-SA.tar.gz" and "MailScanner-4.47.4-2.rpm.tar.gz".
>
> (I have a production MDK 10.0 machine I installed about 7 months ago
> running MS 4.40.6 / ClamAV 0.83 /  0.17  Mail::ClamAV.)

Why would you stay with dreary ol' 10.0? I've installed exactly this
on a LE2005 (10.2) with no problems whatsoever... And will probably
move up to 10.3 (2006) when I get a free timeslot or two...:-)

> When I try to install Mail::ClamAV - either from the tar.gz or CPAN I am
> receiving;
>
>   at /home/install/Mail-ClamAV-0.17/blib/lib/Mail/ClamAV.pm line 193
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /home/install/Mail-ClamAV-0.17/blib/lib/Mail/ClamAV.pm line 537.
> Compilation failed in require.
>
> A search pointed out that;
>
> > Had the exact problem on ES4, someone from this list posted to do the
> > following, worked for me
> >
> > add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig
>
> which I did - even though /usr/local/lib was already in ld.so.conf.

Kind of points to your problem not being the same, wouldn't you say?

> A MailScanner -v on both machines is below.
>
> I'd appreciate pointers to solve the problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon

(snip)
Do you have any other errors that might pertain to this? That "failed
in require" indicate that you can't get hold of the libclamav
functions somehow (assuming I read the code correctly:-), one option
of which would be for it to fail to build at all...

BTW, you should really update that Clamav install on the "old
(working) system" regardless of this problem, since 0.83 will fail to
get signature updates (run a "freshclam -v" if you need "proof":).
--
-- Glenn