_SCORE_ bug in 4.47.4

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Nov 29 20:29:29 GMT 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Mike Bacher wrote:
>>
>>> Running 4.47.4, but this may affect previous versions as well.
>>> Basically, when you have it set to assign a certain score to a
>>> message that hits a MailScanner-checked DNSBL _and_ use the _SCORE_
>>> variable in your Subject line tag, ones that hit the DNSBL always
>>> show a score of 0 even though they should be getting the arbitrary
>>> score of 5 or whatever..
>>>

>> IMHO, that's a good thing. It makes it clear that the message wasn't
>> tagged because of the SA score.
>>

> As Matt says, I'm unwilling to change this. It's a case of
> implementation depending on how you think of it, rather than a
> straight bug.
>
> What do others think?

How hard would it be to post the score, but append "DNSBL" to the
subject line too.  Would give the admin an idea of where things are
scoring, but still be obvious why it triggered.  Perhaps it could even
be displayed something like {Spam: 4.63/5.0, DNSBL subject} indicating
both the score and the spam trigger level.  Spam that exceeds the high
scoring trigger would have /8.0 (or whatever the level is set to) rather
than the normal metric.

Another one of those things that can confuse folks new to MailScanner -
I recall being caught off guard by it a couple years ago but don't think
twice about it now as I understand the behavior.  I don't think of it as
a bug in any sense - just a design decision.

If it would be painful to modify the code as above (or someone elses
better idea) I guess I don't have a strong opinion either way but tend
to lean towards leaving it.  I think a score of 0 is more indicative of
something else going on, than a valid score that is below the spam
level. That would tend to look like a false positive to me.

S'later...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500