spam.assassin.prefs.conf contents

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Nov 29 17:31:02 GMT 2005

Matt Kettler wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>
>> So the question is, does it matter if SA is using flock and
>> MailScanner is set to posix?
>
> No.. This locking is only for SA to negotiate how to lock the bayes
> and AWL databases amongst instances of itself.
> It has nothing to do with sharing files with your MTA, or any other
> program.

That's pretty much what I assumed, but wanted to confirm, thanks.

> Note however that ALL instances of SA (including sa-learn) must use
> the same method for it to work properly. If MailScanner's instance of
> SA is using flock, and sa-learn is using nfssafe (the default) you
> can corrupt your bayes database. This is why it's generally
> inadvisable to put this in user_prefs files.

Oh great, something else to be confused about! <g>  This is the first
I've heard of nfssafe locking.  Per the recommendations in
spam.assassin.prefs.conf I set 'lock_method flock' in
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (see below) Note that it is commented
out in spam.assassin.prefs.conf.  If it should be uncommented as well as
added perhaps that should be added to the commments as it's not clear to
me at least if they're co-dependent or if one overrides the other.

snippet from spam.assassin.prefs.conf:
==
# If you are using a UNIX machine with all database files on local
disks,
# and no sharing of those databases across NFS filesystems, you can use
# more efficient, but non-NFS-safe, locking mechanism.   Do this by
adding
# the line "lock_method flock" to the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
# file. This is strongly recommended if you're not using NFS, as it is
# much faster than the NFS-safe locker.

#lock_method flock
==

Julian wrote:
>How do you make sure sa-learn is using the same setting as the main
>SA engine?
>Or how do you tell sa-learn to use flock?

I guess from the above settings.  Are there other settings I should be
looking at?  Suspect I have something screwy somewhere because I
generally have a bayes.mutex file, and the bayes_journal file seems to
appear now and again, but rapidly disappear.  If I delete the
bayes.mutex file it comes back rather soon.  The two outputs below were
seconds apart.

mxg:/etc/MailScanner/bayes # l
total 35653
drwxrws---  2 root www       144 2005-11-29 08:27 ./
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root      448 2005-08-30 07:37 ../
-rw-rw----  1 root www        30 2005-11-29 08:27 bayes.mutex
-rw-rw----  1 root www  41996288 2005-11-29 08:27 bayes_seen
-rw-rw----  1 root www   5283840 2005-11-29 08:18 bayes_toks
mxg:/etc/MailScanner/bayes # l
total 35657
drwxrws---  2 root www       176 2005-11-29 08:28 ./
drwxr-xr-x  6 root root      448 2005-08-30 07:37 ../
-rw-rw----  1 root www       984 2005-11-29 08:28 bayes_journal
-rw-rw----  1 root www        30 2005-11-29 08:27 bayes.mutex
-rw-rw----  1 root www  41996288 2005-11-29 08:27 bayes_seen
-rw-rw----  1 root www   5283840 2005-11-29 08:18 bayes_toks
mxg:/etc/MailScanner/bayes #

Thanks guys...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500