spam.assassin.prefs.conf contents

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Nov 29 16:57:00 GMT 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> Here are all the current settings in spam.assassin.prefs.conf.
> Please tell me what settings you think should be removed.
> I am assuming at the point that we keep all of it in 1 file. 1 versus
> 2 files can go in a separate thread.

snip
> lock_method flock

I was on vacation for most of this discussion, but since you all were
talking about me (clueless email administrator <g>) I figured I may as
well post even if it is late in the game.  One thing I've never been
clear on is using the "lock method flock" is SA, and using posix locking
for MS/sendmail.  I left the SA lock method set to flock but changed the
MailScanner.conf setting to posix based on previous discussion on the
list.  (Apparently flock is wonky in Linux when running sendmail.)

So the question is, does it matter if SA is using flock and MailScanner
is set to posix?

If they can/should be mixed, maybe some verbage in one or the other
config files to clarify that what the lock setting refers to and is
doing.  It's probably intuitively obvious to experience email admins,
but for folks still trying to make sense of all the individual pieces is
fuzzy...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500