spam.assassin.prefs.conf real file location

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at CHIME.UCL.AC.UK
Wed Nov 23 15:42:20 GMT 2005

Hi,

> Anthony Peacock wrote on         Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:13:11 -0000:
>
> > That would instantly break my SA configuration, which has a lot of
> > stuff in local.cf to do with SQL Bayes settings, etc.
> >
> > I vote for option one above, but leave anything else in the
> > site_rules_path alone.  By naming the MS file mailscanner.cf, it
> > will be processed after the local.cf file anyway.
>
> And might break your local.cf settings consequently as well. I have
> the same setup as you and use the local.cf for both SA and MS. My
> suggestion aimed at preventing problems with such a setup. I agree
> that renaming the old local.cf creates a problem as long as you
> haven't renamed it back. If you want to avoid any problems the only
> way is to add a file with *no* cf suffix to that directory and tell
> users to compare it with local.cf or rename to local.cf if they want
> to use it.

I understand your point, and this wouldn't really affect me as I
don't use the installer anyway.

But I am fundamentally opposed to a piece of software removing (even
by renaming) the configuration information of an existing piece of
software.  I think doing it this way (moving current configs) is less
obvious and more prone to breaking a currently working system, than
adding an additional config file.  It will also be obvious that this
file is there.

The way the discussion is moving about the contents of the
spam.assassin.prefs.conf file there is going to be little in it that
would override the sort of system wide settings that generally get
put in the local.cf file.  In fact it looks like a lot of it is
going to be commented out with instructions about why you might want
to uncomment lines.

--
Anthony Peacock
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that