spam.assassin.prefs.conf real file location

Kai Schaetzl maillists at CONACTIVE.COM
Tue Nov 22 23:31:24 GMT 2005

Julian Field wrote on         Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:09:41 +0000:

> If we accept that we are having 1 file and a link to it, which should be
> the real file?
> The <mailscanner_etc>/spam.assassin.prefs.conf will not be read directly
> by MailScanner, the <sa_site_path>/mailscanner.cf will be read by
> SpamAssassin as part of its normal initialisation.
>
> <mailscanner_etc>/spam.assassin.prefs.conf is the real file?
> or
> <sa_site_path>/mailscanner.cf is the real file?
>
> I prefer the first one as it makes the installation a lot easier to do
> automatically.

Reading the sa-talk list as well I find that people quite often get
confused with spam.assassin.prefs.conf hanging around in a different area
than /etc/mail/spamassassin. And they train Bayes etc. and then later ask
on the list why it doesn't kick in. Usually, because they trained with the
wrong user or because SA was using the wrong prefs file (it's own). Same
goes for running spamassassin against a mail. Usually this will result in
different results then via MailScanner. They don't know that they have to
specify the prefs file if they use SA or any of its tools outside of
MailScanner.
I use the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file as the spamassassin prefs
file for MailScanner in all my installations. That completely eliminates
all these problems. I don't see a reason why it should not be used. If you
provide a "well-behaving" prefs file you should rename the old local.cf (I
think SA scans only files with extension of *.cf in that directory) and put
yours there. This provides for a clean setup where everyone knows where the
configuration resides.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany