spam.assassin.prefs.conf contents

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Nov 22 19:48:57 GMT 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> I have tried to split this conversation into a couple of separate
> threads, so we can all understand where everything is going.
>
> Here are all the current settings in spam.assassin.prefs.conf.
> Please tell me what settings you think should be removed.
> I am assuming at the point that we keep all of it in 1 file. 1 versus 2
> files can go in a separate thread.
>
> What of the following settings should definitely be removed?
> What settings should be added or changed?

> ok_locales              en

Leave in but comment out. It seems a bit far-fetched to assume most MS users are
English-only. SA defaults to all, and that seems the only sensible default.

(Most people assume they don't ever need mail in xzy language or from xyz
country, but later find that their purchasing dept is working to contract with a
foreign company that sends them a bi-lingual email. Pretty much all Internet
connected companies are by far more global than their admins think.)

> bayes_file_mode 0770

Leave in but Comment out. This serves no useful purpose in the absence of
bayes_path, which is commented out.

> rbl_timeout 20
> razor_timeout 10
> pyzor_timeout 10

Remove or comment out. The razor and pyzor settings match the SA default, so
they aren't really doing anything. While that's not harmful, it's not really
useful either.

However, the RBL timeout is LONGER than the SA default of 15, which is highly
undesirable for MS users.

> score RCVD_IN_RSL 0

Comment out, but add a comment for SA 3.0.0-3.0.4 users to see. 3.1.0 lacks this
rule, and 3.0.5 will also likely lack it.