ending the spam.assassin.prefs.conf madness.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 15:56:11 GMT 2005

On 22 Nov 2005, at 15:16, Rick Cooper wrote:

> [...]

So all I need to do is add a link to spam.assassin.prefs.conf in
site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf ?

This sounds like this whole entire problem could be solved with 1
soft link.

Is that really all I need to do?

>> So people expecting to find spam.assassin.prefs.conf will still have
>> it, but the real file will be in mailscanner.cf in the
>> site_rules_path directory.
>>
>> When they upgrade by RPM, what should I do? Once they have the
>> mailscanner.cf in place, it's easy. It's the first upgrade to the new
>> structure that I have to handle carefully. Any ideas?
>>

> Wouldn't the above handle this also? At the very least the rpm install
> scripts could add the link. Or When MailScanner loads it could look
> for a
> soft link at site_rules_path/mailscanner.cf and create it then.

It would be easy for the rpm install script to run a short Perl
script which output the pathname where the soft-link has to go. I
would rather not do it at run-time, it is very difficult to not do it
if you need to not do it for some reason.

The only problem left is that people normally install MailScanner
before installing SpamAssassin. Which package should it go into? I
suspect the answer is both. Should be easy enough.

- --
Julian Field

believed to be clean.