Archive Mail - how do ppl do it?

Michael Mansour micoots at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 21 19:31:22 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm just wondering how many of you handle this Archive
Mail option for people/clients that want it from you?

I've just set it up as follows:

Archive Mail = %rules-dir%/archive.mail.rules

and for my archive.mail.fules file:

To: *@domain.com yes forward
/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/domain
FromOrTo: default

As expected, I get the mail archived (copied) in that
directory/_DATE_ now like:

/var/spool/MailScanner/archive/domain/20051122/.....

with it containing:

-rw-------  1 root root  531 Nov 22 01:33
dfjALEX5qc006601
-rw-------  1 root root  153 Nov 22 02:50
dfjALFoYqc015004
-rw-------  1 root root  401 Nov 22 02:51
dfjALFpWqc015122
-rw-------  1 root root  233 Nov 22 04:07
dfjALH7cqc023368
-rw-------  1 root root  228 Nov 22 04:41
dfjALHfTqc028248
-rw-------  1 root root  131 Nov 22 04:53
dfjALHrpqc029700
-rw-------  1 root root 2352 Nov 22 05:38
dfjALIchqc019695
-rw-------  1 root root 1598 Nov 22 01:33
qfjALEX5qc006601
-rw-------  1 root root 1651 Nov 22 02:50
qfjALFoYqc015004
-rw-------  1 root root 1552 Nov 22 02:51
qfjALFpWqc015122
-rw-------  1 root root 1551 Nov 22 04:07
qfjALH7cqc023368
-rw-------  1 root root 1483 Nov 22 04:41
qfjALHfTqc028248
-rw-------  1 root root 1591 Nov 22 04:53
qfjALHrpqc029700
-rw-------  1 root root 1337 Nov 22 05:38
qfjALIchqc019695

If i wanted to restore this type of mail for the user,
how would I go about doing that with the files kept
like mqueue-type files above? (not knowing which
messages they'd want etc).

I've also looked at the mbox facility provided by
MailScanner, but without auto-creating the mbox files
for me I couldn't find it of much use in a "dated"
directory structure (it would be good if MailScanner
did create the mbox files automatically because I
could then use something like archive_DATE_.mbox as
the filename for the domain and MailScanner would just
create the files ont he fly).

Thanks.

Michael.