Slightly OT: Using ISP's DNS server as forwarder with local caching dns server

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Fri Nov 18 18:55:40 GMT 2005

Hi,

	I was reading Sendmail's bat book and it was saying that it was better
to use a "busy" DNS server, to make sure the entries don't time out.

	I run a caching name server (redhat's package, using bind) and I was
wondering if I could get a benefit of having my ISP's DNS server as a
forwarder.  From what I can understand, the forwarder will be used if my
local server does not have the answer in the cache.  If my ISP has the
entry in cache, it would be faster to retrieve it this way than doing
the whole query by my local server.

	Any opinions?  Is that actually possible with the redhat package+edits
or I'd need to configure bind manually to set the caching+forwarders to
avoid conflicts?

Regards,
--
Ugo