MailScanner not working with sendmail directories

Marc Dufresne Marc.Dufresne at PARKS.ON.CA
Fri Nov 18 21:00:46 GMT 2005

I am using FreeBSD 5.4 with MailScanner.4.44.6 (installed with
installClamSA). I am using sendmail as my MTA.

I noticed that MailScanner is not working, because the subject line is
not being modified. After issuing a ps -ax, I noticed that their are two
sendmail processes running.

One sendmail QueueRunner process points to /var/spool/clientmqueue and
the other sendmail QueueRunner process points to /var/spool/mqueue.

On FreeBSD sendmail is enabled by this statement in the /etc/rc.conf
file
sendmail_enable="YES"

/etc/mail/sendmail.cf "QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue"
/etc/mail/submit.cf "QueueDirectory"=/var/spool/clientmqueue

MailScanner.conf "Incoming Queue Directory"= /var/spool/mqueue
                            "Outgoing Queue
directoy"=/var/spool/mqueue

When the first process of sendmail loads by way of /etc/rc.conf, all
incoming mail is being stored in /var/spool/clientmqueue, then is
relayed on to my internal mail server for processing.

All e-mail is delivered, but is bypassing MailScanner.

I specified sendmail_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf, then changed my
/etc/mail/submit.cf to point to /var/spool/mqueue just like the
sendmail.cf file. I stoppped mailscanner and sendmail.

Ran
/etc/mail/make
/etc/mail/make install  ( to make sure the submit.cf file change
took.)
shutdown -r now

Once the server rebooted, I logged in and ran mailq. The results said
mail queue points to /var/spool/mqueue (correct destination)

What is happening is that the mail is received and deposited into the
/var/spool/clientmqueue directory(not the /var/spool/mqueue directory).
Mail just gets queued and sits their.

I am pulling my hair out!!! Can anyone help???

Marc Dufresne, Corporate IT Officer
St. Lawrence Parks Commission
13740 County Road 2
Morrisburg, ON  K0C 1X0