Spam scores in headers

Richard Edge Edge at TWU.CA
Fri Nov 18 19:55:49 GMT 2005

I am running MailScanner 4.47.4, SA 3.01 with Rules Du Jour and was
wondering how to configure things to show all of the tests failed.
Looking at the headers and totaling up the scores it is obvious that some
other tests are also being triggered, but not recorded in the
"X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:" header lines.

For example:

5,BAYES_50 0.00, HTML_90_100 0.11, HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_04 3.60,HTML_MESSAGE
0.00, HTML_MIME_NO_HTML_TAG 1.08,HTML_SHORT_LENGTH 1.57,
MIME_BASE64_NO_NAME 0.22,MIME_HTML_ONLY 0.00, NO_REAL_NAME 0.96)

I am using the following RDJ:

TRUSTED_RULESETS="ANTIDRUG SARE_ADULT SARE_OEM BOGUSVIRUS SARE_FRAUD
SARE_OBFU0 SARE_EVILNUMBERS0 SARE_EVILNUMBERS1 SARE_EVILNUMBERS2
SARE_SPOOF"

Also, is there a way to include the SpamAssassin version number in the
"X-MailScanner-SpamCheck:" header. I have seen it in some, but they
appear to be using spamassassin as either spamc or spamd. Is this the
reason or have I missed something in the docs and/or MailScannner.conf
options?

We are using MailScanner on our two email gateways forwarding all email
to our Exchange Servers and also using IMF on the Exchange front end
server. I want to rely more on MailScanner for this as IMF 2.0 is
generating too many false positives and MailScanner/SpamAssassin is not
catching enough spam for me to rely on it totally. We are trying to move
away from a dependency on MS products and may even move our main email
servers to a Linux solution (IT Director vision) but in order to do so, I
need to be able to have MailScanner/SpamAssassin doing all of the
anti-spam as well as the anti-virus. While I am continually tweaking
MailScanner to get the most out of it, it appears there is still a ways
to go. I also need to be able to allow quarantining in a way that allows
for one location to maintain quarantined spam. To this end I will be
installing MailWatch on a separate server and was wanting to know if
anyone can point me to documentation for setting this up to have two
gateway smtp servers running MailScanner/SpamAssassin and quarantine
manage from a single separate server if this is indeed the best scenario.
I will also ask about this in the MailWatch list.

Any tips or ideas from the user community would be very helpful.

Richard Edge
Senior Systems Administrator | Technology Services
Trinity Western University | t: 604.513.2089
f: 604.513.2038 | e: edge at twu.ca | www.twu.ca/technology