OT: Need advice: client wants to spam (ARGH!)

Jason Balicki kodak at FRONTIERHOMEMORTGAGE.COM
Fri Nov 11 18:53:24 GMT 2005

Hey guys,

Well, it's finally happened: I contract IT services for a client
who I've heard through the grapevine is seriously considering
spam as an option.  This company is a sub 20 person small
business.

First: let me say for the record that if I'm asked to implement
this I will refuse and if they pursue this through other
means I will sever the contract.

That being said, I'd like to talk them out of it, as they're
otherwise a good client and I'd like to keep them.  I'd like
to think that if they were presented with all the information
they'd back off.

The problem is that everything I can find is more of the
technical "how do I fight spam" kind of document, and not
so much "why you shouldn't send spam, you idiot" and I'm
looking for documents of the latter type to send to this
client.

They haven't approached me about this yet, I heard this
from a mid-level employee who thought I should know that
it may be coming.  I'd like to be armed with a bit more
than "it's unethical" (although, really, that should
be enough).  I can explain about botnets and viruses,
worms and trojans till I'm blue in the face, but all
that stuff is sort of esoteric to a non-techie who's
just looking for a revenue stream.

So, if anyone has any links, advice, or anything else
please let me know.

If I get a lot of good info, I'll try to aggregate it
on the Wiki, too.

Thanks a lot, guys,

--J(K)