more Panda Wrapper drama

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Fri Nov 11 01:51:31 GMT 2005

(http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:test_troubleshoot:mt
a:connexion)
> it'd probably work too.
>
> Rick Cooper (who wrote the current wrapper) can perhaps elaborate a
> bit on why it looks like it does (as well as if I'm right;).

I think you are right, I think he ran the test from the directory that the
file was located in. The current dir is excluded because no unpacked files
are ever placed there for one thing, and the per directory scan was because
(IIRC) depending on the length of the directory path there is no way to tell
where the infection came from (dirname = message-id) because pavcl will
truncate the paths, hence if you are scanning a batch and find a virus you
may well end up flagging the wrong message as containing the infection,
which would be bad.

As an aside Panda called me last week and asked if I would be interested in
using them for the corporate desktop A/V solution and I recapped my
experiences with their Linux command line product and the related tech
support. I assured them BitDefender would be our desktop solution. I did
tell their people that the way they handled the pavcl output problems would
certainly weigh in on how comfortable I would be in signing on with the
windows product for 300+ desktops and the support people made it clear the
could not care less... the sales person certainly did not seem to agree with
them. It's too bad given every person I spoke with at panda that was related
to the pavcl project, except the programmers, agreed that the pavcl out put
was handled badly and the programming staff had been asked to change it for
more than a year... Last I checked it had not been updated. They should take
a lesson from the BD *nix project and they might find a more receptive I.T.
community when it comes to the windows product.

Rick

believed to be clean.