ERROR: MD5 verification error

Miguel Koren O'Brien de Lacy miguelk at KONSULTEX.COM.BR
Thu Nov 10 18:21:18 GMT 2005

I've been using Mail Scanner for 4 years on 4 servers. I've gone through
many version updates and not once did I have any problem at all. Except
for this morning and I was not doing any updating.

This happened on Red Hat 9, MailScanner 4.43.8 and Clamav 0.87. I
noticed a problem because due to other maintenance I had to restart Mail
Scanner. I normally stop it and the start again:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner start

I also usually have to stop some sendmail processes that are left running:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop

It refused to start with a perl segmentation fault in this program and
line:

/usr/sbin/check_MailScanner
line: 118 (which in my file is the last line)

There was no magic I could conjure to make it work. (I checked running
processes, Mailscanner.conf, restarted named). I tried to update to the
latest version which was supposed to happen anyway but after running
install.sh I got these types of errors for the first few perl modules:
segmentation fault /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.94497 (not quite sure now of the
exact message which indicated that the return from the make was bad) . I
had to do something because complaints were starting to roll in. I also
tried to reinstall the version I had running but the sale perl problems
appeared.

I then did something that I really, reall, reallyy hate to do: I
restarted the server (shutdown -r now). Mail Scanner started up just fine.

When the server restarted this is the normal message in /var/log/messages:

Nov 10 11:43:21 rivendell MailScanner: Starting MailScanner daemons:
Nov 10 11:43:21 rivendell MailScanner:          incoming sendmail:
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner:  succeeded
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner: ^[[60G
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner:
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner:          outgoing sendmail:
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner:  succeeded
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner:
Nov 10 11:43:22 rivendell MailScanner:          MailScanner:
Nov 10 11:43:27 rivendell MailScanner:  succeeded
Nov 10 11:43:27 rivendell MailScanner: ^[[60G
Nov 10 11:43:27 rivendell MailScanner:
Nov 10 11:43:27 rivendell rc: Starting MailScanner:  succeeded

Prior to that and before rebooting, this is in the log:

Nov 10 10:51:37 rivendell MailScanner: MailScanner -15 succeeded

a few times. Since this particular text is not in the log (this month at
least), maybe it points to some problem.

I noticed in the /var/log/maillog that around the time the emails
stopped being processed, there are many error lines like this:

ERROR: MD5 verification error

Nov 10 08:09:31 rivendell MailScanner[4005]: New Batch: Scanning 1
messages, 1641 bytes
Nov 10 08:09:31 rivendell MailScanner[4005]: Virus and Content Scanning:
Starting
Nov 10 08:09:31 rivendell MailScanner[4005]: ERROR: MD5 verification error
Nov 10 08:09:31 rivendell MailScanner[4005]: Uninfected: Delivered 1
messages

Needless to say, right now I'm just happy to have this all working again
(perhaps only for a short time until MailScanner needs to restart due to
old age) and I did not try to restart manually.

Has nybody had this problem? Any idea if that error message is relevant?

Miguel

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.