Calling All MCAFEE Users: Re: McAfee DownLoad URL does not work...

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 8 13:24:04 GMT 2005

On 05/11/05, Mike <michael at nomennescio.net> wrote:
> > Behalf Of Julian Field
> >
> > Please can other people confirm that this new suggested location is
> the
> > best place to use.
>
> The original (download.nai.com) still works, there's no problem
> whatsoever and has never been over the last few months/years.

Search the list and you'll see that there has been a number (read: at
least two:-) of occasions where McAfee has goofed and not updated
update.nai.com, but *has* updated speedownload.nai.com (where one
usually downloads from anyway (redirs).

I do agree though, that moving back to the bad old ftp mirrors would
be a step in the wrong direction. They've got an even worse track
record with those... Sloppiness like different file sets depending on
which mirror you hit, leftover crud etc etc. Sigh. Ages ago I
implemented my own DL thing (for another system...) that use the
CommonUpdater thing and which use the Replica.log files of that beast
(counting files, checking sizes and calculating SHA1-hashes... Going
towards that might be interesting, but not switching to an arbitrary
ftp mirror.

> IMHO http is preferred over ftp, due to easier securing/firewalling
> issues. If however ftp is used, the mentioned url is fine for sites in
> Europe. The ftp sites in the US use ftp.nai.com. It may even be the case
> thay DNS replies for ftp.nai.com are now automatically pointing to the
> nearest ftp repositories (think I read this somewhere).

Last I checked it behaves more like a RR thing. I don't check that
aspect that often though:-).

> Regards,
> Mike.
>
> > Dj Ajos1 wrote:
> >
> > >Urgent update... as lots of people's mcafee systems will be out of
> date
> > (I think it has been wrong for months)!
> > >
> > >In file:-   /usr/lib/MailScanner/mcafee-autoupdate
> > >
> > >The line/entry...
> > >
> > >   FTPDIR=http://download.nai.com/products/datfiles/4.x/nai
> > >
> > >Does not work any more...
> > >
> > >But this one does!
> > >
> > >   FTPDIR=ftp://ftpeur.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance...

-- Glenn