Mailscanner + sendmail SMTP code 552

Steve Freegard smf at F2S.COM
Mon Nov 7 09:42:09 GMT 2005

Hi Jens,

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 09:17 +0100, Jens Ahlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one installation with Tao4 (RHEL4) Mailscanner and sendmail. There
> seems to be a maximum message size of 2Mb that i cannot get rid of.
>
> host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] said: 552
>     Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation (in reply to
>     MAIL FROM command)

This looks like the recipient you are trying to send to has the limit -
not your box.

Unless the xxx.xxx... is your host and people are receiving the message
above from your system when trying to send message in, in that case
you've probably got quotas enabled.

> Sendmail version 8.13.1-2.
>
> I have not configured any of SMPT, UUCP or MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE in sendmail
> and Max message size in Mailscanner is set to -1.

As you are getting an SMTP rejection - this doesn't have anything to do
with MailScanner as it isn't involved in SMTP at all.

Kind regards,
Steve.