MailScanner on Exchange

David Nalley david at GNSA.US
Tue Nov 1 16:39:21 GMT 2005

hermit921 wrote:
> My company decided to move to Exchange for its main mail server "It's
> a Management decision".  The two people hired to manage Exchange claim
> there are products that run on the Exchange server that do everything
> MailScanner (and associated programs) can do.  I don't believe it.
> Could I be wrong, or even mostly wrong, about this?
>
> hermit921
Are there other products that scan for spam, viruses and other
undesirable content, sure. Symantec, Kapersky, BitDefender, RAV. and CA
are just a few of the solutions out there. There are a number of big
advantages: 1)Multiple virus scanners - providing defense in depths as
deep as you are willing to specify 2.) Heterogenous environment. -
Security wise it requires a different set of knowledge to compromise an
Exchange box as opposed to a Linux box running mailscanner. Those are
the ones that immediately come to mind. I suppose that licensing costs
could also be a factor, but really for any  organization large enough to
need two Exchange admins, my guess is cost isn't that big of  a factor.