Working with Exchange

Mark Presling mark at PRESLING.COM
Tue Nov 1 02:08:41 GMT 2005

Jon Miller wrote:

>Do it on a domain level, we do this all the time and it works very well, you'll have to set up a relay_domains  for the  mail for the client.
>The way we've set it up is to accept on postfix -> mailscanner (spam and virus with Sophos) -> postfix -> domains.

Doesn't Postfix just lookup the MX entries for the domain in
relay_domains and send it on to the higher priority MX than itself? Do
you have to run your own internal DNS that flips the MX entries?

What I mean is, if you have your server set up as the MX on the Internet
DNS servers for somedomain.com (and not their own server), how do you
use relay_domains feature of Postfix to forward it on to their server
without DNS changes?

I have had a MS box in front of an Exchange server inside a LAN by using
internal DNS, but haven't tried setting it up outside of the internal
network.

I'm sorry this is getting away from the original question relating to
Exim, but it is a similar problem and I am going to need to do exactly
this in the coming weeks for a client.

Cheers,
Mark