Mailscanner 4.46/4.47 on Raq4

Anders anders_wannfors at PRIVAT.UTFORS.SE
Wed Nov 2 09:23:00 GMT 2005

Hi,
trying to install Mailscanner on a well maintained Cobalt Raq4 (fully patched etc...)

I am using the rpm.package and trying to follow instructions found at http://www.qitc.net/
support/mailscanner/ (linked from the Mailscanner installation guides page).

I run into problem almost immediately, please see the following excerpt from my installation log:
[root MailScanner-4.46.2-2]# ./install.sh

Good. You have the patch command.

Good, you have /usr/src/redhat in place.

Good, unpackaged files will not break the build process.

Good, you appear to only have 1 copy of Perl installed.

I think you are running Perl 5.00503.
Ensuring that you have all the header files that are needed
to build HTML-Parser which is used by both MailScanner and
SpamAssassin.

This script will pause for a few seconds after each major step,
so do not worry if it appears to stop for a while.
If you want it to stop so you can scroll back through the output
then press Ctrl-S to stop the output and Ctrl-Q to start it again.

If this fails due to dependency checks, and you wish to ignore
these problems, you can run
    ./install.sh nodeps

Setting Perl5 search path

I think your system will build architecture-dependent modules for i386

Rebuilding all the Perl RPMs for your version of Perl

Attempting to build and install perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30-1
Installing perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30-1.src.rpm
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.55082
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ cd ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ [ 0 = 0 ]
+ /bin/chown -Rhf root .
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ [ 0 = 0 ]
+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,g-w,o-w .
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.55082
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30
+ CFLAGS=-O2 -m486 -fno-strength-reduce
+ perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/var/tmp/perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30-1-root/usr
You have File::Spec version 0.6
ExtUtils::MakeMaker requires File::Spec >= 0.8 to build at all.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 20.

Missing file /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30-1.noarch.rpm.
Maybe it did not build correctly?
Not a very good start to my installation..... I get other errors further along the installation as well.
When extracted, I can see that there is a File::Spec package included.  ???

So, anyone has any idea on how to proceed?

Regards,
Anders