Disabling Bad Filename / Virus Notifications

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at NKPANAMA.COM
Wed Nov 2 13:41:26 GMT 2005

Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie wrote:

>The plural of virus is viruses.

It's not viri (which is plural for man) or virii, *that* we can agree
with. Virus is a mass noun, like "vulgus" (the crowd), which doesn't
appear to have a proper plural. In English it's customary to use
"viruses", but only out of convention. I usually avoid the discussion by
avoiding the use of the plural using grammatical sleight-of-hand,
replacing phrases such as "messages with viruses" with "virus-infected
messages" and so on.