installing libmilter

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at fsl.com
Thu Nov 3 13:14:24 GMT 2005

You shouldn't need to build libmilter. Just install the sendmail-devel rpm.
Then read /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.libmilter for the gory details.

Most milters are fairly easy to install. Some general instructions:

1. Download and unpack the milter source code
2. Configure build and install the milter
3. Install the init script so the milter can start on reboot (some milters
do this automatically).
4. Start and test the milter (look at the mail logs for error)
5. Configure the init script to run at boot
6. Modify your sendmail.mc file to configure sendmail to user the milter.
   Typically it's just adding a line similar to:

	INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`milter-greylist',
`S=local:/var/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock')
7. Use m4 to rebuild your sendmail.cf file from your modified sendmail.mc
file
8. Restart sendmail (don't forget to check the mail log for errors)

Hope this helps,

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.