rules help

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Tue May 31 16:23:31 IST 2005

Matt Kehler wrote:
> That doesn't go with what was said last week I don't think.
>
> Basically then, in filename.bob.rules, I have to have the ALLOW for
> BOB.EXE, *AND* then I have to have ALL my other denys in there that are
> already in filename.default.rules...  ???  In which case..if I have 10
> users that need various exceptions..then that means if I ever want to
> change my master default block list thats in filename.default.rules..I
> have to edit all 10 user exception rule files as well as the
> filename.default.rules??
>
> This is getting pretty frustrating.  All I want is to allow
> bob at domain.com <mailto:bob at domain.com> to send one file, and then have
> all of the default rules applied.  You'd think that would be a trivial
> issue to setup, without having to replicate the rules all over the place.
>
> If it was really like a proper rule processing setup as your typical
> firewall (I happen to work with Checkpoint, but all are pretty much the
> same), then you'd be able to configure it so that bob can send the
> bob.exe file...and if bob.PIF comes in...it would be blocked by the
> default rules.  If you can't do that..then MailScanner is more like
> making exceptions ONLY based on user...and that specific user has it
> entirely own/separate ruleset.   Thats not an exception; thats 2 rulesets.

I never said MailScanner could do exceptions.  In fact, I said the
opposite, in some post in this thread.

I'm not a ruleset guru, but based on what Julian said in that post:

<quoting Julian>

To: user at domain.com filename.allowexe.conf
To *@domain.com filename.normal.conf
FromOrTo: default filename.rules.conf

If a message arrives addressed to user at domain.com, the rules applied are
all those in filename.allowexe.conf followed by filename.normal.conf.

If a message arrives addressed to any-other-user at domain.com, the rules
applied are all those in filename.normal.conf.

Mail from or to anywhere else has the filename.rules.conf applied.
</quoting>

So if you would make, instead of *@domain.com, a line with total
wildcards, you'd probably be able to get the result you want.  However,
make sure you'll never hit the default.

Julian, could you confirm (theoratically) what I said here, so that I'm
not misleading anyone?

Ugo