rules help

Matt Kehler mkehler at WRHA.MB.CA
Tue May 31 15:15:27 IST 2005

Another question on the rules...  I have MailScanner.conf pointing to
filename.conf.rules ...as per below

#filename.conf.rules
FromOrTo:       bob at domain.com
/etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.bob.rules
FromOrTo:       default
/etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.default.rules

#filename.bob.rules
allow   bob.exe    -       -
#filename.default.rules
 ~ this has a boatload of denys in in...100 or so filenames..

Anyways...with the above config, *ANY FILE* sent from bob at domain.com is
allowed through.  Everything else works as it should (ie, no other users
can send exe's or any other file listed as deny in
filename.default.rules).  I am assuming because the rules allow bob.exe
to get through..but filename.default.rules does NOT get processed after
that.  Looking through the emails on the list regarding rules from last
week, it would seem I need to change the filename.conf.rules so that it
adds in the 2nd line as per below

#filename.conf.rules
FromOrTo:       bob at domain.com
/etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.bob.rules
FromOrTo:       *@domain.com             /etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.defaul
.rules
FromOrTo:       default
/etc/MailScanner/rules/filename.default.rules

Is this correct?  Does 'default' not really mean 'everything'?  I take it
'default' is only triggered if NO other rules have been processed...as
opposed to meaning 'default' will ALWAYS get processed?

thx
Matt