OT: replacement for sendmail FEATURE(`redirect')

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri May 27 20:27:07 IST 2005

Gang,

If any of you use sendmail's REDIRECT feature to bounce "User has moved"
messages back for closed accounts, then you probably know that the feature
is lame beyond words.  It returns a message that is inscrutable to everybody
but mail gurus.  While I've used the feature at my site for a while, most
people hate it because of the returned messages.

I wrote a program mailer "redirect.pl" in perl (attached) and a little
converter program for your aliases file (attached) to convert the old
style REDIRECTs to my program mailer.

I have redirect.pl in production at my site now and people are much
happier.  The perl script also offers a "-f" option to forward the
message on to the new address, as well as return a redirect message
back to the sender.  While the forward option works, it is hit-or-miss
with attachments.

If you want to see how it works in real life, please send email to
trobbins at colby.edu.  This address will not forward messages.

I offer this tool to my fellow MailScanner users in the hope you find it
useful.  Fixes, suggestions, info on use with other mailers (eg Postfix)
would be appreciated.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College