OT: GreetPause delay

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Fri May 27 08:52:45 IST 2005

On Thursday, May 26, 2005 6:54 PM John Rudd wrote:

> I personally don't think the end result is as catastrophic as he
> does, but he is right that grey-listing doesn't have this "problem".

It does not have this particular problem but it does cost resources on the sending MTA. Mail has to be queued and one to several retransmissions have to take plase. Therefore yes: Greylisting does have the same kind of problem and many mail administrators therefore strongly object to the whole greylisting idea.

Whether or not this has this catastrophic result we cannot judge. It depends on the mailservers envolved etc. Personally I use greet-pause etc. only, if the mail looks suspicious (wrong reverse DNS, wrong HELO, DialUp-IPs, in SpamHouse etc.). Otherwise our MTA accepts mail as fast as possible. I think that such a setup is a good compromise between fighting spam and not doing this on the cost of others.

Regards,
  JP