URIBL won't work

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Thu May 26 21:26:46 IST 2005

Arnold  [iso-8859-1] J�ger writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get URI-Checking working with SA 3.0.3.
>
> spamassassin -x -D -p /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --lint
> shows:
>
> debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.3
> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
> debug: running in taint mode? yes
> debug: diag: module not installed: URI ('require' failed)
> debug: ignore: using a test message to lint rules
> debug: using "/etc/spamassassin/init.pre" for site rules init.pre
> debug: config: read file /etc/spamassassin/init.pre
> debug: using "/usr/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
> debug: using "/opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for user prefs file
> debug: config: read file /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
> debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL from @INC
> debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8cd36ec)
> debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash from @INC
> debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x8cbdd9c)
> debug: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF from @INC
> debug: plugin: registered Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF=HASH(0x8d138d0)
> debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8cd36ec) implements
> 'parse_config'
> debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Hashcash=HASH(0x8cbdd9c) implements
> 'parse_config'
> debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8cd36ec) implements
> 'parsed_metadata'
> debug: URIDNSBL: domains to query:
> debug: running uri tests; score so far=0.619
> debug: registering glue method for check_uridnsbl
> (Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8cd36ec))
> debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8cd36ec) implements
> 'check_post_dnsbl'
> debug: running meta tests; score so far=4.006
> debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running uri tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: Running tests for priority: 1000
> debug: running meta tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=5.232
> debug: running uri tests; score so far=5.232
>
> but I can't see any URIBL_... in the log.
>
> If I try spamassassin -D <message
> with an appropriate message, I get for example:
> Content analysis details:   (10.1 points, 5.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>  0.0 RCVD_BY_IP             Received by mail server with no name
>  1.5 RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO      Received: contains an IP address used for HELO
> [...]

Find a file called init.pre (usually /etc/mail/spamassassin) and softlink it
to /usr/share/spamassassin or /usr/local/spamassassin, where your regular
spamassassin related *.cf exist..

but this is a workaround not the actual fix, the actual fix involves
correcting one the following in MailScanner.conf

SpamAssassin Install Prefix =
SpamAssassin Site Rules Dir = /etc/mail/spamassassin
SpamAssassin Local Rules Dir =
SpamAssassin Default Rules Dir =

The values listed here (including the blanks) work fine for me.

 - dhawal