OT: GreetPause delay

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Wed May 25 21:10:40 IST 2005

William Burns wrote:
> Kevin:
>
> Does the GreetPause delay feature automatically build (or respect) a
> whitelist, or have you introduced a delay for any server that connects
> to yours?
>
> I can imagine that heavily loaded sendmail servers might have issues
> if this becomes standard practice. If your mail server gets 1 outbound
> message every second, and if each delivery attempt results in a 10
> second delay (at one prompt) then you'll have a mimnimum of 10 idle
> sendmail processes always occupying memory just for outbound mail.

The whitelist can be added to the access file.  It doesn't do a pause on
outbound mail however - it does it when a remote mail server attempts to
send to us.  Basically says "cbj mail server, can I put you on hold" and
then makes the remote end spin it's wheels for 10 seconds.  Real mail
servers are built to handle that sort of thing, as a rule.  Spambots just
want to shotgun out as many messages in as little time as possible so blow
right past your domain.

At least that's my understanding...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500