OT: Grey-listing?

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed May 25 10:14:30 IST 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:51 am, James Gray wrote:
> I've started down the road of grey-listing and have configured but not
> "activated" the sendmail greylist-milter.  My questions to the group are
> both technical and political:
>
> 1. those who have used this milter; how effective is it in stemming the
> tide of spam compared to "just" sendmail + mailscanner + SA +
> RBL(OutBlaze, Razor etc)??

For those who are interested, in the first 24 hours of operation our spam is
down by almost 40% and server load down by about the same.  Those numbers
are
%-age of what was happening prior to implementing milter-greylist.

Pre-greylist:
Average spam: 55% of our total mail volume

Post-greylist
Spam: 32% of our total mail volume.

100 - (32/52)*100 = 39% reduction in spam :):) Or about 20% reduction in
total
mail flow.  Very nice on a machine that handles around 50,000 messages a
day.

We're very happy and the users, both internal and external, are none the
wiser.  All is well with the world and we are slowly making ground on the
spammers (until they build smarter spambots then we're back to square 1).

Cheers,

James
--
Bower's Law: