A case of case sensitivity, and , maybe MS non-RFC compliance ?

Spike Cacti spike_cacti at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 24 20:14:45 IST 2005

Hi,
    I have a problem where I have to send mails to a special mailing
list that uses the "To" to authenticate. The problem is that they use
things like aSffDef3454F at address.com as their e-mail address and
MailScanner changes all headers to lower case.

I took a look at the code and I found , in postfix.pm (I use postfix, I
guess it's the same in other modules) :

 # Change for V4: returns lower-case $from and @to
  sub ReadQf

which does the lc{} job. I removed the lc to test and it worked.

I was wondering why everything was changed to lower case ?

RFC 821 states :

This also applies to any symbols representing parameter values,
such as "TO" or "to" for the forward-path.  Command codes and
the argument fields are separated by one or more spaces.
However, within the reverse-path and forward-path arguments
case is important.  In particular, in some hosts the user
"smith" is different from the user "Smith".

Thanks for your help

Spike