Report :Could not analyze message ?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue May 24 11:59:02 IST 2005

They are using the null MIME-boundary vulnerability to try to bypass
spam and virus detection systems. The MIME headers show this:

         boundary=""

This should and will generate a "can't analyse message" error. If you
aren't getting this error from these messages, then you need to
upgrade to the latest version. The fix disappeared from quite a few
releases of MailScanner, as the MIME-tools were improved a few months
ago, and this breaks the MIME-tools parser. The latest beta has a
separate fix for this situation.

If you are getting the "Can't analyse message" error then your
version is working fine and should be left alone until the next
stable release at the start of June.

If you are *not* getting this error, then you should strongly
consider upgrading.

On 24 May 2005, at 08:41, Andreas Piper wrote:

> Hello all,
>

>> Report: MailScanner: Could not analyze message
>>

> I am seeing those too since the last few days. In my case it is
> always a
> spam-message with Subject:  C$ALIS SOFT  + a random word,
> containing some
> MIME-Attachments including a JPEG-File. I have quarantined some of
> them, and
> could hand over the queue-files (~13KByte size per message) for
> further
> analysis if requested.
>
> My setup: MS 4.36.4 with SA 3.0.2 on Debian Sarge (2.4.29-vs1.2.10)
> with Perl
> 5.8.4 and sendmail 8.13.1
>
> thanks for any hints,
> Andreas