Authenicating users

Spicer, Kevin KevinS at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue May 24 13:43:34 IST 2005

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Jim Holland

************************************************************0*********
>> 2******200**22********0*00

>This is a commonly seen but very uninformative response that is quite
valid.  There is
>nothing wrong with the server.  The 220 means "Service ready" and can
be followed by
>almost anything you want after that.  I suspect that this response
comes from older Sun
>servers running Solaris.

I think you'll find that its actually the result of the smtp transaction
passing through a Cisco PIX firewall using 'fixup smtp' (which is on by
default).  The PIX restricts the smtp transaction to only the bare
minimum of commands needed to transfer mail and also hides any
information leakage in the banner.