Authenicating users

Mike michael at NOMENNESCIO.NET
Tue May 24 08:04:55 IST 2005

First of all, there seem to be more Mike's on this list. The mail you're referring to was written by me. Mike Kercher also replied to this thread, which makes it kind of confusing which Mike said what...

Anyway, the reason why milter-sender fails for your site, has, IMHO, nothing to do with Exchange version whatever. If I look up the MX records for your host, this is what I get:

# host -t mx ci.juneau.ak.us
ci.juneau.ak.us mail is handled by 10 mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us.
ci.juneau.ak.us mail is handled by 15 mail3.ci.juneau.ak.us.
ci.juneau.ak.us mail is handled by 20 mxl.ci.juneau.ak.us.

When I telnet the SMTP port on the mail server with the highest priority (mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us) something goes wrong:

# telnet mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us 25
Trying 199.58.52.9...
Connected to mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ************************************************************0*********2******200**22********0*00

However, if I telnet any of the other mail hosts (priority 15 and 20) a normal reply is received:

# telnet mail3.ci.juneau.ak.us 25
Trying 24.237.22.213...
Connected to mail3.ci.juneau.ak.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail3.ci.juneau.ak.us ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.3/SuSE Linux 0.6; Mon, 23 May 2005 22:56:48 -0800

# telnet mxl.ci.juneau.ak.us 25
Trying 204.238.24.183...
Connected to mxl.ci.juneau.ak.us.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mxl.ci.juneau.ak.us ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.3/8.12.3/SuSE Linux 0.6; Mon, 23 May 2005 22:56:04 -0800

My guess is that there's a problem with mxg.ci.juneau.ak.us and if you resolve that problem (or remove that host from the MX records altogether), milter-sender's CallBack will function as expected. Apparently it does not try another MX host when a problem like yours occurs. Note however that this is the first time I've seen this kind of problem with milter-sender though!

>...Kevin

Mike (Klinkert).