OT: Grey-listing?

James Gray james_gray at OCS.COM
Mon May 23 22:41:12 IST 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:35 am, Matt Kettler wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Whilst not entirely MailScanner related, I do consider most people on
> > this list more sendmail savvy than myself, hence this message.  Apologies
> > if it offends.
> >
> > I've started down the road of grey-listing and have configured but not
> > "activated" the sendmail greylist-milter.  My questions to the group are
> > both technical and political:
> >
> > 1. those who have used this milter; how effective is it in stemming the
> > tide of spam compared to "just" sendmail + mailscanner + SA +
> > RBL(OutBlaze, Razor etc)??
> >
> > 2. If anyone is using grey-listing (of any type), what impact is there to
> > the sender and how has this been addressed politically within your
> > organisation?
>
> I use milter-greylist, 2.0rc1, and I take a slightly unusual approach to
> greylisting that you might find interesting.
>
> I have set up a "greylist instead of blacklist" style network using
> milter-greylist's ACL feature. Using this, I greylist messages from hosts
> with no RDNS, a RDNS that looks like a dynamic home user, and IP's in APNIC
> and LANIC. Everything else goes through without greylist delay.

Hi Matt,

Indeed - your approach is interesting.  Like you, we can't arbitrarily
blacklist hosts either (that's still a manual job), but I'd like to see your
milter-greylist config file and hear about any other "tweaks" you've made to
sendmail to get it all humming-and-clicking ;)

Contact me off list if you like.

Cheers,

James