OT: Grey-listing?

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon May 23 02:51:21 IST 2005

Hi All,

Whilst not entirely MailScanner related, I do consider most people on this
list more sendmail savvy than myself, hence this message.  Apologies if it
offends.

I've started down the road of grey-listing and have configured but not
"activated" the sendmail greylist-milter.  My questions to the group are
both technical and political:

1. those who have used this milter; how effective is it in stemming the tide
of spam compared to "just" sendmail + mailscanner + SA + RBL(OutBlaze,
Razor etc)??

2. If anyone is using grey-listing (of any type), what impact is there to
the sender and how has this been addressed politically within your
organisation?

Question 2 needs a little explanation: the company that pays my salary is
concerned that senders will recieve a temporary failure message if no mail
is sent from their MTA to ours within the "known MTA timeout".  The powers
that be, are worried some customers may percieve this as a flakey mail
server at our end given that many customers may only contact us once or
twice a year.

Are there any other grey-list solutions? milter-sender looks interesting,
but it looks like a pain to configure given our MailScanner box is a
gateway for about 10 domains, 3 of which are local to the MailScanner box,
the others are forwarded to the internal Exchange server.  Or is my
perception != reality??

TIA

James
PS - why does my GPG sig get munged when posting to this list??